Saturday, November 20, 2010

Field Experience #3

What: This week in class, I have examining many of the lessons our teacher does and trying to find ways to help her incorporate arts into them. Most of the stuff she does in class is fairly basic so we have been discussing ways to help her make the lessons more exciting for the kids.
So What: Creative arts are definitely lacking in this particular class. The kids do get to do a lot of drawing and coloring, but there is no attention directed to any other art form. I can definitely see ways that music could serve as a good management technique and also be something the kids just enjoy. During math, the kids seem to get really bored. It would be interesting to see what would happen if she could incorporate some form of art into that subject. I can imagine there being a huge difference. I have seen some teachers use songs to help students memorize math rules or techniques and I think that is something that would definitely be fun for fourth graders.
Now What: By observing the way this teacher doesn't value creative arts, it makes me want to use arts as much as possible in my own class. I think it gives the students a "break" and allows them to express themselves in other ways besides intelligence. I'm hoping to get to use the arts in future classrooms and also see how other teachers use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment