Monday, November 8, 2010

Field Experience #1

What: This week, we began our field experience. Trevor and I are working in a fourth grade class at Legacy Elementary School in American Fork. The class we are in operates on an extended day model and has thirty five students.
So What: I was really excited to start working in Ms. Hunter's class and also interested in seeing how she incorporates creative arts into the curriculum. Upon arriving, we were able to examine the schedule and see how the arts was worked into each day. The classes in the fourth grade at this school are on rotation which means every three weeks, they switch afternoon subjects. When we arrived, our class was on the P.E. rotation. There is also music, health, and computer education. Other than offering the music class, the arts integration was worked into each subject. They didn't really have any time set aside specifically for the arts. When I asked Ms. Hunter about this, she said it was because of the amount of students. I can definitely see how it would be difficult to do arts education with that many kids because I think as a teacher you would be more concerned with the basic subjects. I can see how it would be a struggle to find time for the arts. She said it's not that she doesn't find creative arts vital to learning, but rather it's just difficult to make time for it.
Now What: Upon seeing the lack of creative arts in this classroom, it makes me wonder how many other teachers feel the way Ms. Hunter does. After all, students aren't tested on creative arts so I'm sure many teachers push this subject under the rug. It does make me wonder what the difference is between classes who participate often in creative arts and classes who do not as far as classroom management goes. It seems to me that kids need a break from the curriculum in other ways besides recess and creative arts could be a great way to do it. It makes me curious about how incorporating even just 20 minutes for the arts each day would change the feeling in her classroom. Upon seeing the lack of time for the arts, I feel inspired to find ways to make sure there is always time for the arts in my own classroom one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment