Friday, November 26, 2010

Field Experience #4

What: This week, we completed our field experience at Legacy Elementary. Upon finishing, I have been able to reflect on how I saw the arts used in this particular classroom. I gained many new ideas and also saw several things I would not be interested in using in my own classroom.
So What: During my time in this classroom, I was able to see how difficult it can be to make time for creative arts. There was no specific time set aside for this subject and for the most part, it had to be incorporated into other subjects. This was somewhat disappointing because I felt as if there were several times during the day when Ms. Hunter could have made time for art. Aside from having the students complete art projects, I really think using art could have worked as a management technique for her as well. The kids really seemed to enjoy art projects and getting up to move around so it would have been nice to see more arts in the classroom. When she did have the students complete arts lessons, it was usually just coloring or drawing. It was almost a form of busy work and I didn't really feel as if it was going to help the students learn the value of art.
Now What: One of the best things that comes from completing field experience is seeing how another teacher operates. You are able to find things they do that you may like to try and also point out things that you don't like. I don't feel as if arts were used in the best way in this particular classroom, but it did give me a lot of ideas for what I could do in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment